The County of Dufferin sits on the fringe of the Greater Toronto Area, about 100 kilometres northwest of Toronto. It is largely a rural county with three urban settlement areas. The region is well known for its rivers, its rolling hills and its excellent outdoor recreation opportunities. The UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve, the Niagara Escarpment and the world famous Bruce Trail, run through Dufferin offering spectacular vistas and hiking opportunities. Home to over 61,000 residents the area boasts fabulous restaurants, shopping and amenities
The successful candidate will have a diverse set of responsibilities covering all aspects of the Ontario Works program. Principal duties include providing support and assistance to the public in accessing Departmental and external programs and services as appropriate. In addition, managing an assigned workload in a professional, facilitating and cost effective manner.
What you’ll do:
- Process applications for Ontario Works Assistance.
- Make assessments of the client’s eligibility based on the Ontario Works Act, Regulations & Policies and recommends a course of action.
- Refer clients to appropriate community agencies to assist with daily living and case plan activities as necessary.
- Keep client records current with up-to-date information changes and/or changes to the client’s financial status as appropriate.
- Maintain accurate client records.
- Schedule in-office visits.
- Ensure files are maintained and updated on a yearly basis, or as changes arise.
- Review files for participation in programming and compliance with program legislation.
- Have the ability to deal effectively with difficult or sensitive situations, including those situations where mental health and/or substance abuse are concerns.
- Graduation from a recognized university with 1-2 years of experience or a community college diploma with 5 years of experience or an acceptable combination of education, skills and experience.
- Experience with the Social Assistance Management System (SAMS).
- Strong knowledge of local government and community agencies.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with a demonstrated ability to deal professionally with clients and other social service agencies.
- Demonstrated coaching and facilitating skills.
- Previous experience in Ontario Works, Social Housing or Children’s Services.
All applicants are thanked for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will receive a response. Information collected will be used in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act for the purpose of job selection and will not be used for any other reason. The County is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $67,000.00 to $78,000.00 /year
- related: 5 years (Required)
- DCS / DEC (Preferred)